SACRED HEART ROMAN CATHOLIC PARISH
Title: Administrative Assistant/Secretary for Hispanic Ministry
Grade: 2 – Administrative/Clerical Support
Supervisor: Director of Hispanic Ministry
Date: October 2022
Purpose and Scope
Under the direction of the Director of Hispanic Ministry, Parish Manager and Pastor, this position is responsible for assisting in the coordination of social, political and religious ministry activities and services that affect the lives and needs of the Hispanic Catholic community at Sacred Heart.
Essential Job Functions
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Perform clerical duties related to the Hispanic Ministry including but not limited to answering phone calls, faxes and emails; making copies, filing and creating flyers, booklets, spreadsheets and bulletins for Hispanic Ministry Programs and assisting in planning of Hispanic Masses.
- Maintain collaborative efforts (such as with other parish leaders, the Diocese of Phoenix and other churches) to provide outreach, advocacy and consistent communication to the Hispanic Community.
- Assist in maintaining records on each leader/volunteer, including coordinating Safe Environment Training.
- Provide administrative support for the sacramental preparation of those in the Hispanic Community and their families in collaboration with parish staffs, including Baptism, First Communion, First Confession, Confirmation, and Matrimony. In addition, provide for production of sacramental certificates and maintenance of sacramental records.
- Assist in scheduling/planning of classes and events including but not limited to quinceneras, community events, training, festivals, Citizenship Day, and immigration forum. Some of these events fall on weekends.
- Work in collaboration with the parish staff where coordination of plans, programs and resources are appropriate.
- Provide outstanding service and resources to those in the Hispanic Community, including working directly with those who come into the office, assisting with family needs and directing people to appropriate resources available to them.
- Engage in on-going professional development, including diocesan workshops and seminars that focus on Hispanic ministry. Participate in local and regional organizations that relate to education and formation in this area.
Additional Job Functions
- Performs any other job-related duties as necessary as assigned by the Director of Hispanic Ministry, Pastor or Parish Manager.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Ability to collaborate with parish staff and other multi-cultural groups,
- Demonstrated knowledge of the diversity within the Hispanic community.
- Demonstrated organizational ability in planning and coordinating programs with budgetary responsibilities.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated skill in developing and working with employees and volunteers.
- Have basic theoretical knowledge and skills in planning, organizing, communicating, administering, managing and training. Must be thoroughly familiar with established Diocesan policies affecting catechesis; must be familiar with the varied cultures and religiosity of the local geographic area and be able to work with the group dynamics and group process Must have basic knowledge of current theology and catechesis.
- Bilingual and biliterate in English and Spanish.
- Ability to work under pressure, take initiative, be creative and anticipate solutions to problems; need good judgment in emergency situations and when working with varied personalities and cultures; must be able to work with frequent interruptions.
- Must be flexible and willing to work evenings and weekends, as required.
- Active, practicing Roman Catholic in full communion with the Church.
- Hispanic ministry experience, as a volunteer or paid staff, at the parish or diocesan level is preferred.
- This job operates in a professional office environment. Office will be shared with Director of Hispanic Ministry.
- This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
- This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.