Title: Youth Education Specialist
Commitment: 38 Hours/Week; 900 hours total
Service Location: Highlands Center for Natural History
Time Frame for Service: February 2022 – August 2022
An AmeriCorps Member serving with the Highlands Center will help plan and facilitate the Center’s on and off-site programs for both youth and adults. The member will be responsible for school field trips, classroom visits, and the seasonal nature camps. **This is an AmeriCorps paid volunteer position.
- Project Focus Areas and Activities
- School Programming. The Americorps Member will be responsible for leading school field trips and supplementing in-classroom programs. The Member will be responsible for collaborating with education volunteers and participating in the ongoing evaluation of the programs.
- Community Programming & Outreach: The Americorps Member will be responsible for planning and leading outreach activities. The Member will be responsible for collaborating with education volunteers and staff and participating in the ongoing evaluation of these events
- Seasonal Nature Camps: The Americorps Member will be responsible for planning and leading all camps. The Member will be responsible for collaborating with other hourly/full-time staff and participating in the ongoing evaluation of the camp program.
Education, Skills, and Abilities
- 17 years or older, no upper age limit. All ages are welcome and encouraged to apply
- Experience working with youth
- Ability to work outside during all types of weather
- Willingness to grow and develop as an educator
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint, and Internet-based communications
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a team setting in a consistent, energetic, positive manner
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to be flexible and work well in a variety of situations
- Effective problem-solving skills
- Ability and desire to work with diverse community members
- Friendly and effective interpersonal skills
- An interest in or experience with early childhood education
- Access to reliable transportation
AmeriCorps State Member Benefits
- Living Allowance - $8,471 for the year of service (A bi-weekly payment of $705.92)
- $3,247.50 Segal Education Award upon successful completion of service hours
- Certificate in Civic Leadership and Service through Prescott College
- Team support and coaching
You can apply online here!